Civil War Louisiana (CWLA)

Civil War Louisiana (CWLA)
CWLA seeks to provide an online resource of any and all material of the Civil War relating to Louisiana with a special interest in the war in Acadiana in southwest Louisiana.

Friday, February 24, 2012

30th Massachusetts' Tour in Louisiana, Part VI

Henry Warren Howe was a member of the 30th Massachusetts during the war. Howe's regiment was organized in December of 1861 and served in Virginia before it was sent to Ship Island. From February 12th - April 15th, the 30th Massachusetts garrisoned Ship Island. The regiment was attached to the Department of the Gulf in August 1862 and served in Louisiana until the summer of 1864. Howe wrote a book following the war titled, Life of Henry Warren Howe, Consisting of Diary and Letters Written During the Civil War, 1861-1865: A Condensed History of the Thirtieth Massachusetts Regiment and Its Flags, together with Genealogies of the Different Branches of the Family.

Howe's entries during June-July 1863, during the Siege of Port Hudson and immediately afterwards. This will end the postings of Howe's entries. There are some letters of Howe's we will past later.

June 17, 1863. Returned from Port Hudson. Had a tough time. Our company had one man killed and three wounded.
June 24, 1863. General Weitzel's Brigade returned after driving the enemy in the rear beyond Jackson.
June 25, 26, 27, 1863. Pleasant. Nothing new. On picket on Bayou Sara road. Returned at night. We occupy the same grounds that the enemy held at Clinton Plains fight.
June 28, 1863. Very warm. Temporarily in command of Company
June 29, 1863. Making out muster rolls; also the monthly returns.
June 30, 1863. Marched to-day. The storming party, consisting of four officers and thirty men, were mustered separately.
July 1, 1863. Pleasant. General Banks promised to be in the fort on the Fourth. One thousand stormers. My Captain is one of them. The rebel cavalry is hovering round.
July 2, 1863. March of eleven miles after 11 a. m. to cut off intruders. They got ahead of us. Letter from home. Family very anxious.
July 3, 1863. Expect an attack will be made to-morrow, as General Banks says the Stars and Stripes will hang over their heads to-morrow.
July 4, 1863. Showery and very warm. No attack; got plenty of corn and that is all. Everybody is growing impatient. Very dull day. On guard at night. >
July 6, 1863. Slight fever to-day. Took quinine for the first time in my life.
July 7, 1863. A despatch from General Grant. Vicksburg surrendered on the Fourth. We fired one hundred rounds at noon. Stated that twenty-seven thousand men were taken prisoners.
July 8,1863. The report that Port Hudson surrendered this morning. Hope it is true. Waiting in suspense. Hurrah!! It is confirmed.
July 9, 1863. Our brigade marched into Port Hudson to-day. The entrenchments are immense. Reason of surrender, they were out of provisions.
July 10, 1863. We arrived at Port Hudson at sunrise. Our division, General Weitzel's, goes to Donaldsonville. Unconditional surrender.
July 11, 1863. Pleasant. We made a reconnoissance four miles out. Drove the picket in; our company acted as skirmishers.
July 12, 1863. Our division moved out to-day on both sides of the Bayou; we went out four miles and encamped for the night; Lieutenant Brent Johnston was wounded.
July 13, 1863. On picket; we were attacked on both sides of the Bayou, our regiment on the right; hard fighting; our loss was eight killed and twenty-five wounded. I was hit by a spent ball on the leg.
July 14, 1863. Showery. News that General Lee had been whipped in Virginia with great loss. Wrote home to-day. The dead were brought in and buried, loss from four to five hundred.
July 15, 1863. The regiment was consolidated into six companies, eight officers for duty. I am in command of Company B, the color company.
July 16, 1863. Boats passed coming down from St. Louis and above.
July 17, 1863. Obtained a furlough to go to Baton Rouge to be mustered; I arrived at 4 p. m., and was mustered to date from September 1, 1862.
July 18, 1863. Took a stroll about the town and visited our sick officers. There were from five to six thousand wounded and sick in Baton Rouge.
July 19, 1863. Stopped with Lieutenant J. P. Haley, whose company is on provost duty. Lieutenant Johnston is quite comfortable. Received and wrote a letter home. Returned at 8 p. m.
July 20, 1863. Arrived at 1 o'clock p. m. and went to the bivouac. Nothing new.
July 21, 1863. Lieutenant-Colonel Bullock has gone to Baton Rouge. Two regiments are ordered to the city, New Orleans. The rebels are all gone to Texas.
July 22, 1863. Showery. On picket. Expect to be paid soon; am making out pay rolls.
July 23, 1863. All quiet last night, was relieved at 10 a. m. by the officers of the 161st New York Regiment. Worked on pay rolls.
July 24, 1863. Made out pay rolls for May and June. Mighty hard finding anything to eat except commissary stores.
July 25, 1863. Five of our officers are in New Orleans, on leave of absence; a certain few have to do all the work. The boys are getting sick again the same as last year.
July 26, 1863. It is rumored that we go to Baton Rouge; anything for a change from bivouac.
July 27, 1863. Very warm. The prisoners came down from Vicksburg, going to Mobile.
July 28, 1863. Lieutenant-Colonel Bullock and Captain Creasy returned from New Orleans. We have received a set of colors from Governor Andrew.
July 29, 1863. Received letters from home. Lieutenant Davis on picket. The regiment received two months' pay.
July 30,1863. Showery. Under marching orders to go to Baton Rouge. A brigade passed, going to Tibadeaux.
July 31, 1863. Went aboard at 2 p. m. Marched to the camp, tired enough. Our brigade is all up now. Colonel N. A. M. Dudley commands the division and will be in command of the city. All the principal Generals have gone North on furloughs. Lieutenant Gardner has returned, having been one year on furlough; he was on detached duty; was wounded last summer, August 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coppens' Zouave Battalion

Coppens' Zouave Battalion
Lt. Colonel George Coppens (seated) and brother, Captain Marie Alfred Coppens.Image sold at auction on Cowan Auctions, for $14,375